Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hands on Literacy Conference 2008, Singapore

For a variety of reasons, I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in the Hands on Literacy Conference at Singapore's Australian International School.It was a great opportunity for networking and learning new things about teacher librarianship both domestically and internationally.

I was also fortunate enough to meet a terrific bunch of people including Barbara; another student from the M. Ed. (Teacher Librarianship) course, and Marj Kirkland; the National President of the Children's Book Council of Australia.

The whole day was wonderfully planned, with a variety of different workshops to choose from. I was fortunate enough to take part in two workshops:
I found the Library or Supermarket? workshop incredibly practical and helpful. Kim Olsson, the library assistant at the Australian International School was wonderful in teaching us how to create visually creative signs to use in our library.


This is just a couple of pictures of the library at the Australian International School.

Attending this conference really opened up my eyes as to how being a teacher librarian can open doors for you globally. It really got me thinking about where I would like to take my career in the next 5-10 years, with a stint overseas definitely being on the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment